TV Tuesday: Pilot Season

Readers, it's a very special time of year. In a few weeks the major networks will announce their pilot pickups for next season. It's a little like watching a new class start at a school. Or more accurately, like watching a new set start the Hunger Games since statistically most shows get cancelled during their first season. But I love this time of year because in my nerdy way, I track all the pilots from development through pickups. I love to see which trends TV goes through and see how each network uses this time to craft their schedules for next year. I imagine this is how some people feel about the NFL draft.

So today I want to make a few predictions about which pilots I think will get picked up, as well as a theme I've noticed for this year. Namely, everyone love a reboot this year. But first the Pilots I think each network will pick up.

ABC-A Million Little Things
Gonna be honest, this one is a total shot in the dark. the ABC dramas are all over the page. They are an eclectic mix of weird loglines and improbable character names. I read one of them out loud to CT just now and she said "That's fake." Their comedies are a little more predictable and most of them are family sitcoms.

CBS-Cagney and Lacey
One of many reboots that are up this year (CBS has 3 pilot reboots) but this one stars Grey's Anatomy alum Sarah Drew, and Ving Rhames. It's everything CBS loves in a cop drama, plus it fits in this seasons secondary trend of being more female focused.

Fox- Mixtape
Fox loves a weird risk and this one is described as a "Romantic musical drama" so that definitely counts. No telling whether this one will work, but they'll definitely try it.

NBC-LA's Finest
It's a Bad Boys spinoff, y'all. And it's starring Gabriel Union and Jessica Alba. I could not could not COULD NOT be more excited for this. Six seasons and a movie!

CW-Wayward Sisters
Naturally. I would also say that the Charmed reboot will probably go but at this point if Mark Pedowitz doesn't give us this show the world is gonna end. We need it, Mark.

So the trend I mentioned was reboots. There's an eagarness to capitalize on everyone's nostalgia, and honestly I blame Will and Grace for kicking this off. But like the five time travel shows of two years ago, of which only one is still on,  there's no telling if this trend will actually pay off.

We will see how this all shakes out, but you should know that I will be watching Upfronts week the way sports fans watch March Madness.

Happy Watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts