CT: Let's Hear It For New York

One of the adventures I had over the summer was an almost 2-week trip to New York. Mostly for work, with a little personal vacation tacked on for good measure. It's the longest amount of time I've ever spent in the city (before I've only ever been for a few days at a time). It was an awesome trip. I felt like I really got to live in the city, get to know the rhythm. So I wanted to share a few of my favorite things about New York.

The view from my hotel was straight magical.

Skylines for days. I'm a sucker for a good skyscraper & sky combo, and New York has those in spades. The city operates on a totally different scale than anywhere else I've lived, and means that I took approximately 18,000 photos of the skylines while I was there.

Snapped in the middle of traffic. Because art.

Walking everywhere. I love Los Angeles, but I do not love how much you have to drive here. The neighborhood we live in is pretty walkable, but only for a few select destinations. Other than that, we have to drive. I loved how much I walked in New York. On my touristy days, we walked almost from one end of Manhattan to the other. Plus, people in New York walk the way I walk. Fast and direct. I cannot stand the way people in LA amble around. Walkers in NY are my kind of walkers.

Stoooooooppp. But also don't.

The food is on a totally different level. I know, I know, I live in LA and we have world class food. I'm not talking about the fancy food. I actually didn't eat anywhere super fancy while I was there. I mean the delis and the bodegas and the diners. We ate brunch one day at a a place that had fruity pebble pancakes and they were life-changing. And the coffee. My friends, the coffee. The Brooklyn Roasting company was blocks from where I was working and it made even the earliest of mornings a real joy (even if none of the employees would sell me their sweet snapbacks).


Pictured: No sweet hats for sale.

We did a dozen touristy things while I was there, and they were all amazing. We toured the Statue Of Liberty and I sobbed like a nerdy, nerdy, emotional mess the entire time. We caught a Yankees game and sat in front of the cutest kids that rattled of statistics about every player the whole game. I saw both a Broadway show (Wicked) and an off-Broadway show (Avenue Q), played mini-golf on the fourth floor of a warehouse in Brooklyn, and gaped at the works of art in The Met. I helped a friend explore her new neighborhood and we ate the world's most delicious Greek food.


While I was plenty ready to be home at the end of the trip, and to bring an end to a pretty crazy summer, I have to admit that I loved every second of my time in New York. It's a beautiful, strange, busy city and it was so nice to have the time to really live in it.

And now back to our increasingly busy real lives in LA.

Happy travels, readers!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts