CT: Whitney Monge Sings The Blues

Hello dear readers,

So I know that around these parts Little C is usually our musical guru, but I have something special for all of you today. Bend your ears around this:


While you're listening, or while you're trying to pull yourself off the floor because she is just so amazing, let me tell you a little bit about Whitney Monge.
I just wish I had ever been this cool.

Monge is a new find for me, and I'm already completely obsessed. She's an Alternative Soul artist out of Seattle (because everything really wonderful comes from Seattle). Her music is gritty and warm and full of all kinds of life. I pulled out her music for Caitlin in the car one day and we got about a line in before Cait flipped out.

I love music that tells a story (hashtag writer problems), and there are deep stories inside Whitney Monge's songs. Monge says that she's been singing and interested in music since she was little, and I think that's something you can hear in her work. There's a respect for the artists that have come before her, even while she's making something that sounds completely new.

My favorite of her songs has to be "Gracefully", which is a bonus track on her EP, Steadfast. It's a beautiful song about learning to live your life and become who you are. In it she says, "I'm beginning to listen to my soul, so if I follow where it leads me well I know I will be whole". And man is that truth, pure and simple.


So friends, do yourselves a favor and check out Whitney Monge's music. She is up on Spotify, and has a ton of live performances on YouTube (and watching her perform is a treat). Her tour schedule can be found here in case you live near enough to go see her live.

Happy listening!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts