Little C: Things We Lost To Low Ratings

Readers, I trust you heard the bad news from Monday.

That's right, Hannibal was canceled. All the light has gone from the world. Flowers don't smell as sweet and coffee has lost it's flavor.

Okay, maybe it's not as bad as all that. But we all take it hard when a show we really love gets the axe. Ask anyone who loved Firefly.
Including me. I loved Firefly. 

There's no escaping it, either the shows we love end too early, or they stay on way past when we stopped loving them. No show ending is ever 100% satisfying. Which in a weird way is why CT and I want to write television. Hear me out. 

The love we have for our favorite TV shows is sometimes much deeper than the love we have for movies or even books. But also like a real relationship, there'e not a lot of closure to be had in the the ending of a show, and having to say goodbye to all the people you've spend all those hours with. Because TV is long form story telling, so when we build a relationship with a show it's one that last years. I feel more attached to some TV characters than I do to real people I have to interact with on a daily basis. 

In fairness, the people I have to 
interact with don't look like this

And this is an exciting time for TV. We've moved past the days where either a show was on one of the big four networks (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) or a premium channel like Starz or HBO. I heard a stat the other day that said in the US alone there are more than 200 scripted shows on right now. Which is great because there is something out there for everyone. 

Even the Furry enthusiasts out there

But it also means that there are more shows than ever that are going to have to have endings. So as we sit on Thursday nights, sadly watching the last few episodes of our beloved Hannibal, somewhere a new show is being created. A new show with engaging characters, beautiful cinematography, and clever dialogue that will one day end and break our hearts all over again. 



I can only hope that one day, CT and I are the ones inspiring this level of devotion. 

Happy Watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts