Little C: When Only The Finest Cheese Will Do

Readers, it's time I let you know about my favorite distraction.

You see, I've been in what CT likes to call a "writer downswing" this week in that my "fragile emotions" have sent me into "overly dramatic fits." I like to compare choosing to be a writer to agreeing to forever tie your emotions to a roller coaster. There are times when it's awesome, but it's always a series of ups and downs and sometimes it makes you want to puke. Also inevitably, it's going to break down at some point.When my roller coaster broke Monday night, I may or may not have thrown myself onto the floor and told CT that I lived in a dark spiral of angst and all the light had gone out of my world.

*
*Recreation


The only way I know to pull myself out of these funks is to trick my brain into believing that we are the happiest damn person the world has ever seen. So I overdo it with sappy half hour comedies and pop music so saccharin that it would send a toddler into overdrive. This week I voluntarily listened to ABBA for two hours. Nothing was working, and quite frankly I was starting to believe that I could not be saved, so we pulled out the fail safe. When in deep doubt, only the UK's most charming Tom will do...

No, not that one. 

Nope. Not that one either. 

This one:


That's right kids. I went full on Mod Era and have spent the last two days bop-bop-bopping along to some Tom "What's New Pussycat?" Jones. Mr. Jones was and is the epitome of all the cheesy things you think about with the 60s/70s era pop music. He was tanned to a nice leathery brown, he wore a lot of large semi tacky jewelry. And oh the outfits. The glorious, glorious outfits.



These days he's toned it down quite a bit and spends a chunk of his time each year as a coach on the UK version of The Voice, but I will always be fascinated by the Tom Jones of old. And if you're still curious why this wacky Welshman can pull me out of the deepest and darkest of tempers, I give you my favorite thing about the internet: the video for Help Yourself. If the costumes or dancing stop being interesting/amusing your soul is broken try paying attention to the lyrics. They're priceless. 






Comments

Popular Posts