Little C: I Hate Fairyland

Readers, I have officially caught up on the sleep I lost over this weekend! And I spent today doing almost nothing useful at all because starting tomorrow we are back to doing a million different extra curricular activities. Starting Thursday we have an art show that CT and I both have works included in, which is both exciting and terrifying. I love to sketch and draw but I never really think of myself as an "artist." I never studied art past high school, I don't tend to like most of what I draw. I don't even own any berets. But we will let you know how it goes after the opening tomorrow.

What I want to talk about today is a comic book, so for those of you who don't jive with that end of the nerd-dom feel free to abandon ship now. I saw a preview of a comic almost a year ago and I was immediately so excited for it. The creator wrote for Deadpool for a little while and he's got a slightly sick but very sharp sense of humor. And in his latest creation called "I Hate Fairyland" he turns that humor on twisting a typical childhood fantasy into a nightmare.


The comic follows a little girl named Gertrude who at the age of 8 gets sucked through a hole in her bedroom floor and into the magical Fairyland. She's told she has to complete a few simple tasks to go home, but 32 years later she is still stuck there. Physically she hasn't aged and mentally... well...


This is a truly bizarre story in the best possible way. The cursing has been replaced by words like "Mother-fluffer" and "Where the spell are you going?". The gore is abundant but the colors are so bright and cartoonish that it just feels like it's from a kids perspective. All the traditional fairy tale elements are present (Trolls, princesses, houses made of candy) but they've all got a sort of cynical twist. My favorite side character is the queen, who's hair is made of clouds that reflect her emotions.


The fifth installment of this series comes out later this month and I am so freakin excited about it. The first four issues were brilliant and I can only expect more of the same for the last issue. Here's hoping that this gets brought back for a new series so we can follow Gert around the rest of Fairyland as she meets and then kills more interesting people. 

Happy reading,
Little C



Comments

Popular Posts