Movie Crush Monday: CT & Constantine

Readers, you've survived another Monday and here's to that! Here in Los Angeles we're smack dab in the middle of "Pilot Season", which is a dark time. There are hurricanes (of the emotional variety), sacrifices (of the "my boss keeps throwing things at me" variety) and general morale is poor. So let's walk hand in hand through these dark days and look instead at the ultimate in cool that this week's Movie Crush provides. 

I'm going to follow Keanu Reeves from Little C's post last week on Dracula to Constantine. And I'd actually like to start by talking a bit about him and why he's absolutely perfect for John Constantine. Here's the thing. Keanu Reeves gets a lot of hate, but I've always loved him. And no, he's not British or blonde or several other of the Constantine trademarks, but he perfectly manages the cool factor. Reeves' portrayal is all angst and cigarettes and a complete sense of being over all of it. 

That coolness is at the root of why Constantine works so well. The whole movie fits together to be as cool as humanly possible. The visuals are dark and high contrast- it's a call over to the comics and it creates one of the most unique film visuals I've ever seen. 

The rest of the performances are just as impressive as Keanu Reeves. You've got Rachel Weisz using her considerable talent to play into this insane world. She's basically the "straight man" character but she never feels stiff or boring. Then there's Tilda Swinton. I'm telling you guys, I would watch Tilda Swinton read the phone book. She's amazingly androgynous as Gabriel and she just looks like she's having a ball. 

Little C and I just rewatched Constantine a few weeks ago and I can't recommend it more highly. It's an amazing movie. 

Happy watching! 
CT






Comments

Popular Posts