CT: A Mix CD For Thee

Ok y'all, settle in because first we're going to have a little story time, and then I'm going to give you all a present. Because you can't say that your friendly neighborhood CT didn't ever give you anything. I'll also be working in my punishment word, elicit.

(FYI: we're using elicit, which means "to evoke or draw out a response". Not illicit, which means forbidden. Just making sure we're all on the same page otherwise things get awkward)

So the story starts like this: I had just moved to LA, and one of my first romantic-y relationships had just spectacularly imploded. Without giving too much detail (because who really wants all that much gritty detail about someone else's relationship-y situations?), I was in quite the state. I mean, I'm pretty in touch with my emotions (read: emotional), and the situation was eliciting all freaking kinds of emotions here, and I'm sure I was a true joy to be around. Sensing my imminent self-destruction, Little C gave me a CD that had "A Mix CD For Thee" written on it, and that became the playlist that got me through the rough patch and on my way to being the bright and cheery CT you normally see before you. They weren't even necessarily cheery songs, just songs that seemed to elicit the right combination of feelings to make me eventually better.

The second part of the story is this: it has been one heck of a month around these parts. On the one hand, we've finished our webseries and are getting ready to premiere it on Monday, which is just about the most exciting thing I've ever typed. We love Prove It!, and we couldn't be more thrilled to share it with you all. On the other hand, October seems to have some sort of personal vendetta against our family and is doing its darndest to take us out one by one. Kind of like the Predator I guess. Once again, I find myself in the kind of situation that is eliciting an intensely emotional response, and once again I have a playlist that's getting me through it.

Here's where the gift comes in. I'm going to do something that I really rarely do lately, and share the contents of that playlist with you all. I feel like normally music is such a personal thing, but who knows, maybe this will work for you? Again, I feel the need to stress that it's not all cheery music, or calming, or even angry, but just music that makes me FEEL, that elicits the kind of emotions that help me work through everything that's been going on. Ok, here goes:

Blink 182 - Los Angeles
Mumford and Sons - The Wolf
Frank Turner - Mittens
Matthew and the Atlas - Within the Rose
Borns - The Emotion
Shakey Graves - Dearly Departed
Johnny Flynn - Howl
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Bobby Long - Dead and Done
Bastille - The Draw
James Taylor - Fire and Rain
Noah Gunderson - Garden

There have been a few others here and there, but that's the steady list. It's a weird group, I know, but that's what's working for me this month. So let's just all hunker down together and try to make it to November, which is usually a little kinder to us.

Much Love,
CT

Comments

Popular Posts