Little C: Sorta Like Halloween

Hello Readers! It's less than a week from everyone's favorite fall holiday and I wanted to talk about my favorite things to watch that totally fit the creepy mood but aren't technically Halloween themed. You see, I like old school slasher movies but when it comes to the modern horror films where the scares some almost exclusively from things popping out at you... Nope. I'm not about that life. You know what I do like to watch this time of year?

Labyrinth

Because this is a story about a girl fighting her way through a land full of monsters and ruled by David Bowie, this movie is everything fun about Halloween, as long as you munch on some candy while you watch it. Plus the costumes Mr. Bowie wears are one of life's purest gifts and should be observed annually. 

Hannibal NBC

I know that this show manages to appear on every single best of list that we make. There's a reason. It was a stunning example of thoughtful and artistic TV. The lighting was moody, the soundtrack was alternately elegant and creepy. The costuming was perfect! I've been rewatching the first season and I find new things that intrigue and unnerve me all the time. Try counting the number of times that Hannibal references food or cooking in any episode. You'll be horrified. 

Cabin in the Woods

This could really be any of the genre savvy meta horror films. Tucker and Dale vs Evil or Behind the Mask fit on this list just as well as Cabin. But I chose this one because the writing is so intentional and Drew Goddard is a master of genre manipulation. This movie is funny and scary and sad in turns all while taking a well worn genre and refreshing it with a twist that no one saw coming. This is the gold standard of horror spoofing. 

Gotta go, CT and I are going to drag queen bingo tonight and I have to go attempt to be presentable

Happy Haunting!
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts