Little C: Maybe They Deserve a Second Chance

Readers, I'm not gonna lie, it was a hell of a morning. Like a there's-not-enough-caffeine-in-the-free-world-to-make-this-okay kind of morning. A morning where I called every other driver on the 405 a wealth of creative curses. What can I say, when I have to be up at an ungodly hour and then my time gets wasted I turn into some sort of bridge-dwelling troll who instead of riddles just tells everyone to suck it.

source

But I made an honest effort to restart my day. And while I was doing that I was thinking a lot about second chances. When it comes to TV/Movies/musicians I tend to be a quitter. I give up on things fairly soon after they start to irritate me unless I have someone there to force me to keep going. You can think that's fickle but I just don't have time to "suffer through" something that's supposed to be entertaining. That's not to say I tap out every time a show gets a little inconsistent or a band I like puts out a song that's half-assed. But when, for instance The Walking Dead spent the second season on a farm pretending that it was not a zombie show but some sort of weird melodrama... I tapped out. And people who try and talk me back in tend to add disclaimers of "I mean this storyline was awful but..." and then I feel a little vindicated about my choices. Not even my love for Jeffrey Dean Morgan can convince me to go there.

Having said that, there are times where my judgemental self gives up on things I would really enjoy. I spent six years not reading Terry Pratchett even as my best friend pushed/threatened/pleaded with me because I couldn't get through Color of Magic. I still contend that that is the weakest of the Discworld books (don't @ me cuz you know I'm right) but if I had put my foot down I would have missed out on one of my favorite authors because I didn't like one thing he wrote.

So I'm starting a list of things I maybe quite too early. I've restarted watching The 100 in advance of the season 5 premier. I'm going to take another whack at reading some Steinbeck. I'm going to actually give the new Rise Against album an honest listen. I'm also going to rewatch a few episodes of Psych. I didn't give up on that one, it's just been a long day and I need me some Burton Guster to unwind.

Comments

Popular Posts