TV Tuesday: AP Bio

Readers! Welcome to our very first TV Tuesday. We love TV, and decided that we want a space to talk about what we're watching, how we feel about it, what's coming up soon, and what needs to be cancelled already to put everyone out of their misery. We'll take turns putting it together each week, and I am the oldest and wisest (and the best at rock paper scissors) so I get to go first!


Here's the thing about me- I've said for years that I'm just not all that into comedies. Sitcoms never really did it for me. I need something a little darker in my life. I mostly blame Parks & Rec for ruining that, or maybe it's the transition away from mulit-cam that we've seen in the past few years, but I am officially becoming a comedy girl. Superstore, Fresh of the Boat, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Good Place, Blackish. The list goes on and on, like every time I say out loud that I don't watch comedies another one I love pops into existence.

Image from IMDb
The first few episodes of AP Bio are no exception. This is not a show I expected to like. I honestly thought it was going to be one of those shows where every funny moment is in the trailer. But I have to tell you guys, I was wrong. I laughed, actually out loud, through the entire pilot. And then the next three episodes as well.
Image from IMDb
There's a combination of things going on in AP Bio that are working for the show. The first, and you have to mention this off the bat, is Glenn Howerton. The man is can deliver a ridiculous line in this perfect deadpan every time. Like announcing to a group of teenagers that your plan is to mentally break your nemesis is a totally normal thing for a teacher to do. And it cracks my business up like clockwork.

The rest of the cast is just as good. Patton Oswalt as the bumbling, overeager to please school principal is the absolute perfect foil for Howerton. Watching them play off of each other is brilliant. And the group of kids that play his class are just as good. I grew up as one of those AP nerds, and the way they react to a teacher that has zero interest in teaching is perfect.

Image from IMDb
This show is on the bubble and I can't tell you how sad I'm going to be if it get cancelled. The writing is the revenge fantasy gone wrong in the best possible way and I'm increasingly obsessed with this cast of kids. Please NBC. Give a girl a break and let Glenn Howerton get crazier and crazier on TV every week, eh?

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts