Movie Crush Monday: Little C and The World's End

Happy Monday all!

Last week CT geeked out over Scott Pilgrim to you guys (She does it to me all the time) and therefore she gave me access to one of my favorite directors, Edgar Wright. So today I get to write about one of my favorite comedy films...

The World's End (2013)

It's a movie about friendship! Aliens! The British tradition of Alcoholism! But mostly it's about Simon Pegg and Nick Frost surrounding themselves with talented people and fighting aliens. The plot is that a group of guys reunite to do a pub crawl in their home town, not realizing that it's been taken over by aliens. I'm serious, every Edgar Wright film is stacked with great actors, but none more than this one. Martin Freeman, Rosamund Pike, Paddy Constantine... Basically every UK actor I've ever loved. 


I've got to take a minute to talk about the fight scenes in this movie. Cuz Man of Steel came out the same summer but the fight scenes in The World's End are WAY BETTER. They're more inventive, shot in a way that keeps you engaged and able to tell where everyone is, and keep the tone of the film steady. Because even in a fight scene, this movie understands that it's a comedy. I want Edgar to run a workshop for directors on how to film a fight scene, so I can stop sitting through punching matches that drone on so long that I stop caring who wins. 

Take notes everyone!

I recommend almost all of Mr. Wrights back catalogue, but especially this one. Bill Nighy does the voice work for the alien overlord, and it's priceless. 

Happy watching,
Little C



Comments

Popular Posts