CT: Writer Rollercoaster

Oh Readers, it's real talk time here at 908 South. Because we're honest with you. Because we love you. So here's the truth: I should have written this post this morning, when I was peppy and full of excitement at all the things I could do with my day off. I was all ready to go see the new Terrance Malick film, Knight of Cups, and then tell you all the things I loved about it. Let me just tell you now, I will inevitably love that film because Malick is just a plain old genius and I adore the way he makes movies.

Ugh, it's all so pretty that I just die...
But alas, that's not the post you guys get today, because today decided to make itself into a teachable moment. My plans for seeing the Malick film were foiled by the monsoon rains that chose today to hit LA, making the streets nigh-near impassable (LA drivers, I'm pleading with you all to learn how to drive in the rain). And that wasn't the last of it. Thing after thing after thing came at Caitlin and I, none of it horrible, nothing actually traumatic, but just so many bits and pieces of bad news or frustrating stalls on projects that the two of us just gave up on the day altogether.

We've retreated to the couch where we're eating Indian food and watching Supernatural.

So here's what I want to talk to you all about. The last few years have been an awakening of sorts around these parts. Step by step, Cait and I have come to see ourselves as writers, to embrace our identity as Artists. It's been amazing to start to understand myself in this way. I've learned the best ways for us to work, the things we have to do to keep the stories coming, the things that will stand in the way of our progress. We've even been able to make our home into a haven of creativity, complete with half-finished crafts and glitter all over absolutely everything.

Here's the other part of being a writer, though. Being any creative type, actually. You live on this roller coaster. The littlest thing will send you reeling, either skipping up into the heavens or spiraling down into the "dark and twisty" (endless thanks to Shonda Rhimes for naming that emotion for me). It's all part of the same artistic system. We get so close to all of our emotions (as we're writing them for characters) that it's easy for our emotions to take us for a ride.

So that's where we are tonight. Exhausted and emotional and sitting this one out. We're going to let Sam and Dean do the heavy lifting tonight, and we'll be ready to tackle things again in the morning.

Much love,
CT

Comments

Popular Posts