Little C: Let it Be

Readers, as this crappy year continues we have lost another great part of the music industry. Sir George Martin, the music producer who worked closely with The Beatles, died. A lot of fans know his names but most people don't understand exactly what a producer does. I'll explain it the way one of my college professors explained it to me: if a producer has done his job well, the album tells a sonic story. There should be a cohesive feeling to the album, like all the songs were meant to be played together. Sir George was one of the best. Those albums are works of art, not just because the four musicians but because George Martin was steering the ship.



So as I sit here, in yet another small but unshift-able bad mood, I wanted to revisit some of my favorite Beatles moments. For George, and all the wonderful music he helped into the world.

"Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"

From the final Beatles album, these songs were beautiful example of what I said about a producer. These songs can exist on their own but they are much stronger when combined into a bigger musical movement. Abbey Road has several themes both musical and lyrical that are so intricately woven into the fabric of the songs, and you can hear them in these three if you listen closely. (I know I'm nerding out on you. So sorry dear readers)


"Getting Better"

For such an over the top album, a song as simple as Getting Better might seem out of place. But such is the wizardry of a good producer that after Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds this song provides a much needed break and it smooths the way for the rest of the album. 


"I've Just Seen a Face"

This song was a turning point. From a band that wrote good but fluffy pop hits Sir George helped them grow into the musical and artistic geniuses that they became. This album, Help! came out in 1965 and lead to Rubber Soul later that same year. The small hints at a deeper and more expansive sound on Help! quickly took over Rubber Soul. In what felt like a very short space of time the band and Sir George discovered and then pushed the boundaries of rock and roll. 

Okay, I'll stop nerding out on you and sign off. So I can nerd out on Christy for the rest of the night becuase THOSE ARE TOTALLY FAKE SNORES CHRISTY AND YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE! I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO HIS 8-TRACK TECHNIQUE!!! 

Happy Listening
Little C



Comments

Popular Posts