CT: Don't Wake Me, I'm Not Dreaming

Well readers, I am embarrassingly late with this post. My punishment word is "Emphasis" and I'm just going to roll with it. And really, my only excuse is that we were in Vegas and then I was broken. Not to worry, just your average contusion and tenosynovitis of the radial styloid (apparently in English that means I almost broke my thumb. Emphasis on almost, as in didn't, as in calm the heck down Urgent Care staff). 

But what we're really here to talk about today is the album that is going to rock my entire summer. 
Borns - "Dopamine"

A few months ago, a friend sent me a text that said, "You need to listen to American Money by Borns immediately." He was so right. Since then, I've listened to the whole album over and over and over. It's amazing, with an emphasis on cool that's I can't get enough of. 

I can't emphasize (counting it) enough that you should listen to the whole album, but I wanted to highlight a few of my favorite tracks. Keep in mind that Little C is our resident music pro, so I won't be nearly as eloquent as she would be but I like to think that I make up for that in enthusiasm. 

The first track that deserves a listen is the one that got me into this whole thing: American Money. Ok, so when you're listening to this, turn it up. I mean, way up. There are levels to this song that you just aren't going to get if it's playing quietly. I personally think it's at its best when blaring in a car with windows down. "American Money" has an emphasis on the bassline that pairs with Borns' voice and makes it feel intense and laid-back at the same time- a coolness that's 100% rock and roll. 

I also want to take a minute to appreciate "Past Lives". It starts off with a sweet, a cappella verse that feels almost retro. Then it dives into a funky, techno-pop-rock dance track that's been stuck in my head for weeks. Borns is great at emphasizing the difference between his light voice and the depth and complexity in the rest of the songs. This is another one that's been great to listen to in the car, at the gym, while I'm getting ready in the morning, etc. You know the drill. And the fun of "Past Lives" is so complemented by the drama of a song like "Emotion" that the whole album is a heck of a listen. 

During the rest of the year, most of my musical taste has an emphasis on acoustic sound. In the winter it's classical, in the fall it's jazz, and in the spring it's hippie folk. But summertime is a-comin' and that's when I can't get enough of fun, loud pop. So it's going to be a Borns-heavy summer around these parts. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go prop up my damaged hand so the swelling goes down. 
You win this round, sidewalk.


Happy listening!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts