Little C: New Fall Shows (A List of Opinions)

Readers, the networks had their upfronts last week, which is a industry way of saying the ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and The CW released a list of the shows they are cancelling and the new shows they are picking up. This is one of my favorite times of the year because some of the shows look amazing and I get really excited for them, but some of these shows are hot fucking messes and I sort of want to hate watch them. I wanted to give you a run down on the most promising (and biggest messes) that will grace our TVs in three short months.

Good:
No Tomorrow (CW)

The cancellation of my beloved Galavant has left a void in my life. I know the ratings were low, I know that a period piece/musical must have been a logistical nightmare to make. I don't fucking care, because I loved every damn second. So when Gal himself Joshua Sasse got a new show picked up this year I wanted to be a cynical bitch because I only want him running around on horseback singing songs like a damn Disney prince. But then I watched the trailer... He plays a guy who firmly believes the world is months away from ending who starts dating a girl who's always very careful and planned. Double plus bonus, Mr. Sasse strips to nearly naked in the trailer. I will watch the shit out of this show.

The Good Place (NBC)

Kristen Bell. It's all it takes to get me to watch a show because aparently "Once a Marshmallow..." etc. etc. But the trailer honestly made me laugh pretty hard and while I'm a little worried about how well this show will wear past the first few episodes, I'm still ranking this as one of my ones to watch. The way they've managed to replace the curse words is a pretty brilliant comedic choice.

Pitch (FOX)

I love baseball. I was raised a hardcore Yankees fan, although my loyalty while I'm in LA is to the Dodgers (Go Blue!) And so a show about a woman getting to be a pro baseball pitcher is exciting enough that I would probably watch it no matter what. Thank God the trailer looks bomb so I don't have to waste my time on a crappy hour of television every week. Small negative, this show is on Fox so by loving it I have doomed it to one season. #NeverForgive #NeverForget

Bad:
Pure Genius (CBS)

Like all the CBS shows this year, this looks generic AF. But it gets extra points taken away for the worst accent I have heard. Ever. Is he trying to sound like an android? Did no one tell him to stop hitting the final consonant on every word like it insulted his mother? Can he heaR himselF speaK? Also, as I may have mentioned before, the well worn trope of "Asshole who is allowed to treat people like shit because he's so smart" is an automatic fail.

ALL THE FUCKING TIME TRAVEL SHOWS (ABC, NBC, FOX, CW)

No really, if you'll cast your minds back a few years there was a time when everybody had a fairytale show. This year four of the five networks have pilots with some form of time travel. Not CBS (because time travel is interesting so they passed in favor of another cop drama staring a white guy) but the rest each have people bopping around in the past, screwing something up for themselves and the timeline in general. And the none of them look as interesting as Legends of Tomorrow so I'ma take a pass on all of them.

Conviction (ABC)

Christy would like me to point out that she liked the trailer for this. I say that my bitterness for the cancellation of our beloved Agent Carter knows no bounds so this show could have been a supernatural thriller staring Hayley Attwell as the queen of the steampunk cyborgs and I would still not watch it. I am a viewer scorned.

Tossups: 
APB (Fox) Shots Fired (Also Fox)
These shows are in the tossup for the same reason. They have really interesting starting points but I don't trust network TV to be able to handle them well. Odds are one or both end up either offensively bad or generic and formulaic. The premises (a millionaire privatizing the police in a district of Chicago, and an investigation into racism and corruption in police shootings) are loaded and feel like they're stories that should be told right now.

I will check back in on these shows when they start up. The trailers for all of these are up on youtube if you're curious.
Happy Watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts