Little C: Technological Aids to Long Distance Friendships

Hey there readers. I've gained a new appreciation for things I already thought I loved. Let me explain. I've had the same best friend since I was 14 years old. And for 12 years of our 13 year relationship we have lived towns or states apart. We have gotten almost professionally go at the daily text/weekly chat routine. Cell phone technology has been the cornerstone of a relationship that for the most part sustains with one or two face to face hang outs a year.

At Taking Back Sunday last summer

But the last couple weeks we've stumbled on to something magical. It started when I was gently (sort of) harassing her about getting in to Supernatural. She said she probably wasn't really going to unless I was there to force her into it which I'm never around long enough to do for a show that is literally more than a decade in... So I proposed that we start having Netflix dates.


So for the last three weeks we pick a night and we both sync up our accounts and watch TV while messaging each other. Essentially we sit in separate states but we still get to have a very normal friend experience. Technology, children. It's a wonderful thing and honestly it's been one of my favorite parts of the week. I've gotten to share a show I really love with my best friend and despite the fact that she lives hours away in Idaho, it all feels so normal and close. 

Normal being a relative term in the Supernatural 'verse...

God knows we will probably spend the rest of the year catching up on this show. Again, it's the longest running scifi tv show of all time so we're not even close to being current on Sam and Dean's monster hunt. But when we do get done we have all of Netflix to chose from, and a really cool new ritual that let's us feel like we don't live so far away. 

Happy watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts