Movie Crush Monday: CT & Rogue One

Oh yes, guys. This is happening. Little C lobbed me a soft ball this week because the uber-talented Diego Luna is in Milk which means I get to talk about Rogue One! And yes, I freaking loved Rogue One. I think about it all. the. time. I saw it a ridiculous number of times in the theaters. Our Tumblr is basically a Jyn Loves Cassian fan page at this point.

There is so much to love about this movie. Like everyone else in Nerddom, I was in love with this movie and enraged by it and heartbroken by it. And so a lot of the amazing things about Rogue One have been talked to death. Yes, it nailed the classic Star Wars vibe. There are those great space dogfights that we fell in love with in the original trilogy. It filled a plot hole from the original trilogy in the most satisfying way possible. Alan Tudyk as K-2SO was just perfect. But all of that has been dissected to death by the rest of the internet.
Image from IMDb
So instead let's talk about the two things that I loved most about this movie (with a little blurb about Jyn and Cassian thrown in at the end because I have no self control). The first is Jyn herself. The women of the Star Wars Universe are always tough and interesting, but Jyn takes a special place in my heart. The way she steps into her position as the team leader, and the way she takes on what's basically a suicide mission is inspiring for me every time. She goes from someone who's concerned with only her own safety to someone willing to give up her life for the cause. To give hope to a struggling rebellion. And she inspires a team of soldiers to follow her in that mission. Her story felt like EXACTLY what I needed to hear in the current state of the world.
Image from IMDb
The second is the team that Jyn leads. First of all, I love that they basically stacked her team with actors of color. Donnie Yen, Wen Jiang, Riz Ahmed, Diego Luna, Forrest Whittaker. It's far too rare in science fiction/fantasy to see a cast that's not all white people, and I'm the first to admit that we have a long way to go. But it was SO NICE to see the diversity in Jyn and Cassian's team. So. Nice. But the team that they put together was interesting overall. Their stories didn't have to be explained word for word on screen, because we still felt them. I felt like I knew Bodhi Rook's whole life without having to hear it based on the strength of Riz Ahmed's performance. And that was the case for every character in Rogue One.
Image from IMDb
Guys I've been so good. I have to say this. Jyn and Cassian were perfect for each other and their romance was so amazing and heartbreaking and all I wanted was for them to live and secretly be Rey's parents and I'll never recover from that ball of fire killing them not ever even though it was kind of perfect in its own way because I need them to be Rey's parents.
Ok thanks for sticking with me on that one.

Happy Watching! Cause the BluRay just came out!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts