Little C: The Last Time I Was This Upset, Lucius Malfoy Was Involved

Readers, I am late with a post, because I spent yesterday trying to compose myself and write something that was coherent and not a semi-caps locked rage. You don't deserve an unhinged rant right now, there's enough of those going around on all the news networks. You deserve a composed, thoughtful dissection of pop culture. So it is with a heavy heart I have to tell you that I am only about 38% composed. We're gonna try and proceed with the post anyway.

When the Harry Potter series wrapped up, nerds like us were left with a magical void in our lives. We tried to fill it with other books and the content that Aunt JK put up on the Pottermore website but... it just wasn't the same. So when the movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them came out, set in the same world but focusing on Eddie Redmayne's shy nerdy Newt Skamander the Potter-heads rejoiced. We got to finally reenter this amazing world and explore new stories within it. It should have been nothing but pure nerdy joy and it so nearly was that I was willing to overlook some flaws...

But boy howdy, am I not on board for the sequel. They announced this week that although the movie will heavily feature Dumbledore and the man that JK Rowling (who created the whole world) announced was the love of his life, the movie will not address Dumbledore's sexuality. Which is stupid. I'm sorry, I am unable to be patient and understanding about this any more for two reasons. A) It's 2018 and thinking that audiences can make the logical jump to a world filled with magic and monsters but somehow will be unwilling to pony up $12 each if one of the characters is not straight is ignorant and wrong. The writers and producers are denying a whole generation of nerds some damn overdue representation because they might lose a few bucks from the homophobic corner of the fandom. I have no patience for this kind of cowardice in media. But B) why make a movie that focuses on Dumbledore and Grindlewald if you're not planning on addressing the fact that they were in a long term (GAY) relationship? This alone would have been enough to earn and eye roll and a loud "pass" from me.

But my readers, this is somehow the fourth biggest issue I have with this film. It is baffling to me that in an age where we are finally taking the survivors of abuse and harassment seriously that Johnny Depp is still landing big rolls. Yes, I know he was cast in the earlier one but replacing actors is possible. Just ask Ridley Scott. I just don't get how we are willing to sit and have a serious discussion about the career ramifications that abusers are facing but somehow he gets a pass.

And that's not even including the whole getting his lines fed to him through an earpiece my feelings on which are perfectly summed up by Jessica Chastain's reaction to being asked about it:
source

Throw in a the fact that the movie will essentially be about the rise of the wizard Hitler and... guys there's a major studio movie coming out that's about magic and wizards and I'm anti-excited about it. This has never happened before. I was the lone voice calling for Peter Jackson to milk the Hobbit for another movie just so I could get more time in Middle Earth. How did we get here? And can someone get me a damn portkey that will take me to a timeline where this movie has changed into something I want to see?

(Written from the floor where I am sadly waving my official Professor McGonnagal wand at the cats in an attempt to move them closer to me)
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts