Movie Crush Monday: CT & LOTR The Fellowship of the Ring

Story time, readers. 'Cause we have a big movie to talk about this week:

Image from IMDb
Imagine, if you will, a young nerd, working for the summer at her dad's office to raise money for Hanson cd's and reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time. I'd been obsessed with fantasy for a long time at that point, and a total book nerd that read everything I could get my hands on. My dad is a huge Tolkein fan, and decided that if I was going to see the new movie coming out that winter I'd better read the book first. I was enraptured. I read the whole trilogy (more than once) that fall. My friends and I devoured every piece of information we could find about the movie. We got midnight tickets for opening day and got out of school early to wait in line to get the best seats possible.

And it blew my mind. Blew it way open.
Image from IMDb
The landscapes, the story, the characters, the effects. CATE BLANCHETT. I cried through the whole thing (shocking, I know). I was terrified for Frodo, I felt the looming danger of the ring, I 'shipped Arwen and Aragorn before I even knew what shipping was. Every scene of The Fellowship of the Ring was bigger and more important than the scene before it.
Image from IMDb
And then, because it was Christmas vacation, my dad and I went to see it 6 or 7 more times in theaters. I felt like I saw new details each time, or like the world felt even more real each time. It was, at the time, the most expansive fantasy world I'd ever seen. It was the first time that the movie up on screen was just as good as the way I saw the book in my mind.

Image from IMDb
I rewatched the Lord of the Rings trilogy this fall, and I have to say that this remains to be my favorite movie of the three. It's absolutely beautiful. The performances are fantastic, the story is moving, the visuals are stunning. Worth a revisit for sure.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts