Caitlin: The Art and Story of a Minor Culture Hero

Today, I want to discuss one of my favorite comic book writers. His name is Gerard Way and I'm guessing that you had one of two reactions if you recognized that name at all. Either you smiled a knowing smile, or you rolled your eyes so hard that they almost popped right out of your head and went spinning from the room. For those who didn't recognize it, Gerard is the former frontman of My Chemical Romance. Hear me out on this one.

First of all Gerard was an artist with an emphasis on comics before he became a musician. And he's got a subversive and snarky view on how society creates heroes. The so called "heroes" that he creates are not good people for the most part. They are damaged, bitter, often deranged. But you would have to be to fight evil for a living, wouldn't you?

Being half gorilla helps too


In the first series of comics that he created, Gerard gave us the Umbrella Academy. They were a group of extraordinary kids with unconventional super powers like being able to create realities by spreading rumors. They were character embodiments of flaws the hold back normal superheroes. There were two series, Apocalypse Suite and Dallas. Both felt subversive and dark, but have these weird little quirks and moments of humor and hope.

And whatever the hell this was...

For me the music of My Chemical Romance always felt like a comic book in album form. There were all these violent metaphors and grand images. This wasn't completely out of the ordinary for a band in the punk scene, but there's a reason that Gerard's band was the most well known for it. In everything he does there is a theatricality and sense of grandeur. He never just tells you how he's feeling, because like most visual artists, it's easier for him to paint the picture for you. Their first album they were just thrilled to be in a studio, but everything after that had a story or a theme. They have three of the best concept albums of the last half century to their names. I want to focus in on the last album for a minute.

"Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys" 
PS- The "Parental Advisory" sticker is what I live for

There is only one form of media that I love more than comic books, and that is music. It's part of what attracted me to this band in the first place. In a move that I'm sure confused some people, My Chem made their last album and the music videos for it a tie in to Gerard's latest comic book. It's a nearly seamless flow between the two, with both referencing each other while being fully realized and independent. I cannot explain my love for this project in words. It has dystopian futures and a band of rebels. If you had asked me to list everything I could want in a cross media project like this, I would have listed everything but the laser guns AND THOSE ARE THE BEST PART!!!


On a personal level it felt like these guys were giving me everything I would need as a fan, to help soften the blow when they broke up. Which they did. Which is never fun. From a fan perspective, I would almost prefer to go through an actual break up than see one of my bands part ways. But Gerard is still making music, and comics. And with all his protesting, he has become the thing he has long subverted. He's a culture hero.


Thanks Mr. Way. 
So long and goodnight,
Little C

(Art for Umbrella Academy by Gabriel Ba. Art of The Fabulous Killjoys by Becky Cloonan)

Comments

Popular Posts