CT: Serial (Or How I Got Obsessed with Podcasts)

So I've never been a podcast person. I have vague memories of people raving about this podcast or that one in college, and I just never got into the whole thing. It seemed like a whole process that I never felt like I had time for. Every once in a while I would hear someone talking about a podcast like Welcome to Night Vale or This American Life and every time I had a little pang of wanting to be part of The Cool Kids That Listen To Podcasts. But then I walked away each time (I've always been a little too lazy to be one of the Cool Kids).

And then there was Serial.



As lame as this sounds, I got into Serial because of a Buzzfeed article about it. I think this was the second or third time I'd seen something mention either Serial or the Adnan Syed case and I finally googled it. I listened to the first episode over my lunch break and holy cow was I already obsessed.

I love me a good mystery. I went through a serious Agatha Christie phase in college, and I read all of Tana French's books in about a minute and a half last year. Even though sci-fi will always be my first love, I have always liked to put together clues or puzzle pieces.

Jessica Fletcher is my jam.

Serial is just SO good. It's well produced (although that's not a shocker, since the This American Life folks are amazing), and Sarah Koenig is such a great host. She leads you along with her so you feel like you're making the discoveries right there with her. And I don't know whether or not I think Adnan is guilty, but I know I care a whole heck of a lot more than I have any right to about a decades-old case.

And as if that weren't enough, it's opened up a whole door of podcasts. Serial has finally, finally made me download the podcast app. And since there's only one new episode a week, I've gotten into a whole new set of podcasts to fill the days.

Now I'm also one of those folks who's addicted to Night Vale, which is strange and wonderful and completely unlike anything else I've ever heard.



So if you haven't heard Serial yet, I DEFINITELY recommend it. And if you have, what other podcasts do you listen to? Help me feed my addiction!

Much Love,
CT

Comments

Popular Posts