Caitlin: My Own Personal Nirvana

It's been a rough old summer in the land of Southern California. Since May it has been excessively hot. Like, a-small-spark-might-set-my-skin-on-fire-and-then-we'll-all-go-up-like-the-end-of-Bambi hot. But tonight, as I closed down the movie theater I work at for the night, it started to rain. Within a few minutes it was coming down in sheets, like the sky had been saving up water for five months and finally could hold back no longer.

So I sat in the box office, my headphones in, the lobby of my theater empty and only half lit. The neon from the marquee lights gave the rain this lavender glow. It was deeply peaceful. And because I could think of no better song for the moment, I put on End of the Affair by Ben Howard.

For those of you looking for a new musical obsession, go ahead and google Mr. Howard. I'll wait.

...
Surprise! I don't do waiting. Just watch this

Wasn't that worth it? Ben's latest album, I Forget Where We Were, currently lives in my car stereo. The songs are subtle and layered and can be cast in many lights to fit many moods. I've been slowly making my way out of my summer collection of punk music, and weirdly enough End of the Affair has proven to be the perfect transition to my depressing Christmas music collection. More about that in a later post.

Fair warning, all of the songs except In Dreams are over 4 minutes long. For the most part they're a slow burn, they all build to an emotional peak, but some times that peak comes five minutes into the song. If you're okay with that kind of music though, the payoff is perfect.

I may do music recommendations once a month. No promises or anything, but I like promoting my favorite artists and this blog gives me good ranting space to do just that.

Happy listening,
Little C

Comments

  1. Love this! Sassy and smart. I will start listening immediately. Also tell us more about your depressing Christmas music!! I love that dichotomy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts