CT: The Avengers (No, Not That One)

So when I was but a wee CT, I decided that maybe the coolest thing in the world was movies and maybe those movies could have more important things in them than Leonardo DiCaprio (lies). So my step-dad, in all of his infinite wisdom, introduced me to a little TV show called The Avengers. I was immediately hooked for life.

It may be a disappointment to some that this show didn't have anything to do with Iron Man or Thor or any of the other spectacularly bicep'ed Marvel gentlemen.

Just take my money.
But none of that matters because this show gave the world a little someone named Emma Peel.


And all the people said Amen.

No really, Emma Peel wasn't just one of those stylish mod ladies of the 60's, she was badassery incarnate. Played by the indomitable Diana Rigg, Emma was the first character ever- man or woman- to do Kung Fu onscreen. She drove a fast car, she kicked literally every single possible ass, and she regularly rescued the show's male lead, John Steed.

And speaking of John Steed, Emma and Steed had a palpable sexual chemistry and I'll say about 97 percent of their dialogue came down to some sort of innuendo. For example:

While they're looking at Steed's bedroom, Emma admires a four-poster bed and remarks, "I've always rather fancied myself in one of these." Steed replies, "So have I—I mean, I have, too."



What really gets me about Emma is that she's just supremely capable. She's never in a situation that she can't figure out and she works well with Steed. They're truly partners and she never feels like a sidekick.

So if you haven't seen The Avengers yet, you really should check it out. Like any show of the era, it's not without its faults, but it's a huge amount of fun. And you're in luck! Almost the entire series is available to stream on Hulu. 

Dooooooo iiiiittt....

Much love, 
CT

Comments

Popular Posts