CT: Writer's Block

So picture this. You're sitting in your house, getting ready to write your weekly blog post. You love your blog. You love writing. This is your happy place. So, with a little music in the background, you start to type...

Nothing. You're typing nothing because your brain is empty and sad. You fight it for a few moments, but then you realize what's happening. Writer's block.

Now if you're me, the realization that you're not the perfect writer, that you're capable of getting blocked just like everyone else, will send you crying to the corner faster than you can say "Artists are unstable emotionally!" Once you've wiped your tears, though, reality sets in and you realize that you're going to have to work through the block and figure out how to write something down. Anything.

For me, when I think that I've reached the absolute end of my creative energy, I remember that you have to ingest as much (if not more) art than you put out. So that's what I did. I mean, not me, of course. The hypothetical you from the beginning of the story. Anyways...

One of my new favorite things in the world is the Invisibilia podcast. This is a brand new podcast from the NPR crew, and it's all about the invisible forces that run our lives. It. Is. Bomb.
I can tell Lulu and Elise's voices apart. Because I'm a damn professional.

I might be someone that needs to be spoken to like a small child when it comes to science, but I LOVE it. I love science fiction, and it seems like lately science discoveries are waaaay closer to science fiction than science fact. So less than 5 minutes into a recent episode of Invisibilia about quantum entanglement, my mind was racing with story possibilities. And who knows if anything will come of any of those possibilities, but just that little bit of art fed into my creative energy and got me going again.

With writing, you fight yourself more than anything else. Writers block is something that all creative types come up against, and I'm of the opinion that the only, only way to fight it is to let more art feed into your mind.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's back to the corner with my podcast for me.

Happy writing!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts