Movie Crush Monday: Caitlin and V for Vendetta

Hello everyone!

The household last night went to see Jupiter Rising and most of us loved it deeply. So I thought I'd make today's post about my favorite of the Wachowski films, V for Vendetta. It should be noted that this movie was written by the Wachowski's but directed by frequent collaborator James McTeigue.

I saw this at a very impressionable age. I was 16, working my first movie theater job, and it was one of the rare occasions where I didn't have school on Friday and was allowed to stay out late and participate in the midnight previews for the new films. I was so excited that I didn't even care that I knew absolutely jack shit about the movie we were watching. And as it should be with good films, the lights went down and my jaw hit the floor ands stayed there for two hours.


My inner nerd forces me to rewatch this movie once a year (Forgetting every time that it is actually a little over two hours and emotionally exhausting to sit through). Every single aspect of this movie is perfect. The colors and visuals are stunning. The acting is spot on. But most importantly the story is well structured, and while I love the comic book to death I cannot help but applaud how much of it was either cut or changed for the film. Because straight comic to film adaptations don't seem to understand that there are huge differences to how stories are told in the two mediums. *Cough*Watchmen*cough* Above all my favorite thing about this movie is the script. 

Little 16 year old punk Caitlin wanted the whole script tattooed on her forehead 

Here's my favorite thing about these two as writers: they love world building. It really hit me watching the movie last night, but the Wachowski siblings spend probably years making sure they have developed a clear world with well defined rules and characters. As a nerd, there is nothing I geek out over more. They give a richness to the worlds they create, and a distinct feel to each. The Matrix world is specifically structured around the rise of computers, and everything from the costumes and color pallet to the food they eat has been carefully considered. V for Vendetta is just as carefully mapped out, but completely separate from the Matrix or the Cloud Atlas universes. I want Lana and Andy to adopt me and teach me their ways. 

We can have dominos parties! 

Viva la revolution!
Little C



Comments

Popular Posts