Little C: 2 Cellos

Hello all,
Before I get into my post for the day, I wanted to take a moment for shameless self promotion. Some of you who read this regularly will remember my post on the Baz Luhrman cabaret. It's still running at the DBA Hollywood through April, so I encourage you to check it out. Well someone at the main office of the theaters I work for read that post and liked it, and then asked me to do a smaller write up for the Laemmle blog. You can find that post here. Please check it out. I'm hoping if this one goes over well I will get to do more of these for the Laemm-pire.

Ok on to the actual post for today. If the Grammys this year taught us anything (besides the fact that Kanye West is in fact the biggest tool on planet Earth) it's that music is subjective and divisive. The songs that really do it for one person are just noise to another person. I think this is one of the reasons why I love those people who can pull off cross-genre mashups. Not just the Pitch Perfect ones where they push two pop songs together. Those are great, but also kind of taking the easy way out. I'm talking about this

Song starts about 30 seconds in

That is fucking Tchaikovsky meets Iron Maiden. With a cello solo that makes me weak in the knees. How often do you get to say that? It turns out that these two kids are classically trained cellists who decided one day to riff on a Michael Jackson song. Within a month of putting a video of that on youtube, they'd fallen down the rabbit hole and were playing on stage with Elton John. And for the last 6 years they've been touring around playing everything from Green Day to Bach.

The leather jackets say badass. The cellos... also say badass

I spent the better part of last night watching everything they have up on their youtube channel, and now I'm thoroughly obsessed. They have a video where they both play the same cello that is so mesmerizing that I'm willing to forgive the fact that the song they're playing is Coldplay. So go, check them out!

Happy Listening,
Little C


Comments

Popular Posts