Caitlin: For The Record, Baz Luhrman

So Christy has been on my case for over a year about seeing this local musical show based on the music used in Baz Luhrman films. I've been... Let's say resistant to the idea. I don't really like theater for the most part. I like seeing my sister or my friends perform, but I would much rather watch a film or a TV show. But finally I gave in. And thus last Saturday I found myself in a bar in West Hollywood, drinking an overpriced jack and coke while Christy fidgeted and worried that we couldn't see well enough. And then the lights went down. And my life changed.




In addition to my hesitancy about theater, I'm not a huge fan of the three Baz Luhrman movies I've seen. But I always love the soundtracks. His movies have a knack for nailing the combination of melody and onscreen action. So to put a show together that was all the music of Baz Luhrman's films with just enough dialogue to move the plot was a magical revelation. It helps that the cast were spectacular, able to seemlessly transition from a rock song to a perfectly harmonized choral arrangement. (Which is when I started crying the first time) 

This moment is when I started crying the second time


 By far my favorite part of the show was the MC, played by the talented Patrick Mulvey. The MC has small roles in all four of the stories. He's the priest in Romeo and Juliet and the owner of the Moulin Rouge. And Patrick happens to be the long lost twin of Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong. I have many weaknesses when it comes to the guys and girls I find attractive, but being a teenager of the emo generation, a love me some well applied guyliner.  



And a guy willing to stand on the bar and sing to me

So Christy was right. Again. And we are going back in two weeks to see it. Again. And if they extend it or move it (they are still selling out shows so it seems likely) we will be seeing it again after that. Which will bring the number of times Christy has seen it (and cried over it) to an even dozen. It may take me a year or so, but I bet I can match her tear for tear on this one. 


Happy Listening,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts