Movie Crush Monday! CT & Pirate Radio

Hey hey Internet Friends!

We have a little something new for you around these parts, and Cait and I are super excited about it! We're gonna do a Movie Crush Monday post each week, which will give us a chance to gush about all the  movies we love. We're going to take turns and since I arrived on the planet first, I get to go first (I'm sure there's some rational logic in there somewhere).

So we're going to kick things off by talking about a little movie that punched me in the face with its awesomeness when it came out. I saw it with a friend, fell in love, dragged every single one of my other friends with me to see it over and over, and then bought it as soon as it came out on DVD.

That movie is Pirate Radio.

Pirate Radio was released first in the UK as The Boat That Rocked, which personally I think is a much cooler title. The cast is pretty much a who's who of British actors, and they all look like they're having the most fun you can have making a movie. I mean, Bill Nighy always looks like he's having the most fun you can have, but Pirate Radio feels like he just invited all his friends to a party that happened to be filmed. But from Chris O'Dowd (marry me) to Kenneth Brannagh (marry me also) to even up-and-comers like Tom Wisdom (polygamy's a thing, right?), the gang's all here.
This is what all of the 60's was like, right?
And you can't really talk about this movie without mentioning the truly wonderful Phillip Seymour Hoffman. While he definitely had more challenging or impressive performances, Hoffman is on point here. He performs his entire role like a rockstar on stage. He seems to relish every line. It's a wonderful thing to watch an incredible artist really enjoy what they're doing.

The movie functions almost like a musical, with songs here or there to push the story along. Except that instead of having the musicians performing, it's the hysterical cast (often singing out loud) that perform along with the music that their characters are so passionate about.

That's the thing that I enjoy the most about this movie. At it's heart this is a movie about people who love music. They love it like it's oxygen, and they would go to the ends of the earth (or the freezing North Sea) to fight for that passion. And in the meantime, they're going to have a ton of fun.

So I think you should check out Pirate Radio if you haven't seen it already. It's a ridiculously fun ride. Unless you're like, allergic to fun. Then don't. But you should probably get that checked out because it sounds like the worst allergy ever.

Cheers!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts