Movie Crush Monday: Caitlin and City Island

Happy Monday,
This post is going up a little late in the day because I've had the day off and good book so this morning was pretty much doomed from the get go.

Today for movie crush monday, I'm diving into the indie side of film. As many of you know I manage an indie theater in LA and have for about five years now. I love it for many reasons, but one of the big ones is that my theaters get the movies that don't really play anywhere else in the country. You learn pretty quickly that a movie made for no money is either a steaming pile of pure crap or a project made out of pure passion that will knock your socks off with how good it is. My favorite example of the second category is City Island.


I knew absolutely nothing about this movie going in. I was just trying to kill time before work one day. But this movie about a family who live on a island just outside the Bronx charmed me so much that I then dragged everyone I knew to the theater to watch it with me. The premise of the movie is simple, everyone in this family is keeping a secret from everyone else. Their attempts to keep their secrets get more and more out of hand until they explode in one of the best ten minutes of film to ever be shot

Not to mention a family dinner scene that made me shoot sprite out of my nose


Without giving away any more of the plot, I just want to say that the Rizzo family of the film are spectacular. The way they interact is hysterical. The arguments they have and the lies they tell each other are familiar and relatable but never feel cliche. I'm putting the trailer at the bottom here if you're one of those people who likes to see trailers, but I'm also going to tell you that you will enjoy the movie just as much going in completely clueless.


Happy watching,
Caitlin

Comments

Popular Posts