Movie Crush Monday:10 Things I Hate About You

Dear readers, I have to confess something. This is my fourth attempt to finish this post. At the end of failed attempt number three I threw my hands up in frustration and said "We don't have any movies I can write about!"

My roommate, Lex, looked up at me. And then past me to our bookshelf and a half filled with movies. And then she went back to working on her computer, silently judging me. She has to put up with a lot, living with writers. 

But then as I walked past our movies for more coffee (coffee and inspiration are practically the same thing) I saw it. A movie from my childhood. A movie I quote often. A movie that has helped the careers of nearly all who appeared in it. The beloved classic, 10 Things I Hate About You.


I'm a Shakespeare nerd. I admit it. But that love really started with this movie. It's a (very loose) modern update of the play Taming of the Shrew. But modern Shakespeare updates are a dime a dozen these days. This one is special. The script is packed with witty lines and the kind of sarcastic obnoxious characters that I have a special fondness for. Plus young Heath Ledger.


In addition to all of its other charms, this movie has a killer soundtrack. Ok, so it's soooooo 90s it will set your teeth on edge, but I pulled it up on spotify while I put this post together, and it holds up better than it has any right to. Even the ska songs are still pretty fun. 

So for the next time you want to try to get into Shakespeare in a painless way, or the next movie night where you want something with Julia Styles, grab a copy of this. I promise it's as much fun as you can have reliving the 90's for an hour and a half. 

Happy Movie Watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts