CT: The Art Of Balance

So I've been doing a lot of thinking this last week about balance.
Not that kind of balance... Well okay, yes, I also think a lot about Cirque Du Soleil.

Caitlin and I went to a friend's wedding this week, and it was hands-down one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever been to. They are a fantastic couple, but what made the wedding so great was that they found ways to incorporate their own personalities into a traditional ceremony. It made for a wonderful night that represented who they are so well.

I find that I'm not always good at finding balance in my life. I tend to waaaaay over commit myself and then find myself exhausted and not able to work at all. I just feel like there are so many things to do and write and go see that I don't want to say no to anything. I want to take on all those projects and hang out with all those people and write all those characters.

But what I've been learning, or trying to learn, is how to balance all the things I want to do with taking a little better care of myself. Which means sometimes saying no to something in order to take time for myself and recharge. I'm also getting better at finding things that recharge me in a good way (i.e. not the super dramatic Irish crime drama that I love but sends me into a spiral of dark twistiness when I watch more than an episode at a time... but that's a story for another day). For example:

Naps. I'm at least a second-generation napping professional. My dad can take some epic naps, and I have inherited that ability and then some. Really, if you don't wake up confused about what year it is, that nap was probably wasted.

Shows that aren't horribly dark Irish crime dramas. Usually I like my shows pretty dark, but when I'm stressed out already it doesn't help. It's better for me to watch something like the always amazing Parks and Rec, because if Leslie Knope can't help you nothing can. Also I have an shameless crush on Ben Wyatt.

Books! I'm now in two separate book clubs, but please don't be intimidated by my adultness. Even just setting aside half an hour or so to read before bed is the kind of little moment that settles me in.

Much love everybody!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts