Little C: Daredevil on Netflix

Readers, it's almost time. That which we have waited for the last three years is almost upon us.

Correct! Only 15 days till Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters. I will be seeing it on it's Thursday late night screening. And probably again Friday. And if we're being honest ten or twelve more times after that. I'm firmly on team Marvel. They have won the nerd wars, and DC is struggling (and mostly failing) to keep up.

I talked a while back about how 2015 was a good year for nerds, and while I spend the next two weeks impatiently waiting for Age of Awesome, the friendly Gods of Marvel have bestowed on me a gift for my patience.

Oh Hell yes...

This is the first series set in the big Marvel universe that isn't on network television. And Netflix has taken the opportunity to make this series dark. Surprisingly dark. I'm serious, it's like Batman had a kid and left it to be raised by the Sons of Anarchy. Which works so well for a story that's not so much about an ancient god fighting monsters, or a WWII era super soldier, as it is about a man trying to clean up one neighborhood of one city. Matt Murdock is struggling to do what he thinks is right. He faces down gangs and corrupt cops, all of whom work for a mysterious kingpin named Wilson Fisk. 


The best part about this show is the fight scenes. They're all shown in long shots, with minimal cuts. It's an interesting way of pulling you into the scenes and making you feel for Matt a little more as he takes punch after punch. And I'm convinced that's Dardevil's real superpower; the ability to take a beating and keep getting back up. 



The other thing I have to mention about this show is the two female leads. Roasrio Dawson and Deborah Ann Woll manage to play characters who are doing everything they can to stay afloat in a very corrupt and very dangerous world. For the most part they are just as tough and just as capable as anyone else on this show. And both actresses give amazing performances, making their characters nuanced and fully formed. 


I'm only 7 episodes in (So no spoilers unless you want me to find you and kill you) but I'm totally hooked. I'll be finished with the series by the weekend and left to impatiently pass the rest of the time till Age of Awesome comes out...

Happy watching!
Little C





Comments

Popular Posts