CT: Love in the Time of Robots

The alternate title for this post was "The Time I Lost My Mind In The Movie Theater And Almost Had To Be Carried Out Because Of Sheer Ecstasy" but that wouldn't have really fit at the top.

So a few weeks ago, I told you all about Alex Garland's new film Ex Machina (in the midst of raving about how much I love Sunshine). And finally, this week, we trekked out to the theater to see it. I can't really tell you how excited I was for this movie. I love Garland's other work, the cast is incredible, and sci-fi is so my jam. And I have to admit that as we sat in the theater, I braced myself for the inevitable disappointment that can come when you build up a movie that much in your head.

But about 15 minutes in, my mind was irrevocably blown. This couldn't even be a Movie Crush Monday post because it's not a crush. It's true, deep, wonderful love.

Let me start my multi-part gush session by saying that this is one of the smartest scripts I've ever seen played out on screen. Now that's not really a shocker, because it's coming from the man that wrote 28 Days Later, The Beach, and Never Let Me Go. He seems to specialize in science fiction that feels like it takes place next year, or the year after. He blends wildly futuristic tech with a world that feels totally grounded.

Ex Machina is about a young programmer named Caleb (played by Domhnall Gleeson) who wins the opportunity to spend a week with his employer, Nathan (Oscar Isaac). Once he arrives, Caleb learns that Nathan has created a robot AI named Ava, and Caleb will spend the week testing Ava to find out whether she's genuinely conscious or if she's simply imitating consciousness.

That's the jumping off point, but the movie quickly becomes a battle of wills and minds. All three characters are wildly intelligent, and playing against each other in moves and counter moves that are complex but never confusing. It's a bit like watching a two hour long game of chess. Caleb begins to have feelings for Ava, but does Ava have the same feelings for him or has she been programmed to act that way? Is she pretending? What else is going on in this bizarre research facility?

It's been a really, really long time since I've seen a movie that used its visuals quite like Ex Machina. I actually found it really hard to process that this is the first movie Alex Garland has directed. Every single visual element fit together perfectly. From the costuming to the production design to the cinematography, everything was intentional. It was really nice to flex some of those film school muscles and get to read the mis-en-scene that Garland put together.

Also, as a short note, I've read a lot of people that read this film as deeply sexist. I can see why they might think that, but I honest to goodness think that's a mis-reading of the film. Alex Garland has raised a ton of questions and played with the male-female dichotomy, but I think that the way Ava is portrayed says a lot more about the male characters than it does about the female.

Right now Ex Machina is in limited release, but if you have the chance to go see it, do it. You won't be disappointed. It's a wild ride, and one of the most beautifully created films I've ever seen.

Also, Alex Garland, if you're reading this... just adopt us. We're a little old, yes, but that just means we're lower maintenance. You won't be disappointed.

Happy watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts