CT: On Change

Oh, dear readers, it's an exciting day around here.

Once in a blue moon life hands you a metaphor so perfect that you just have to tell the story. The story speaks so clearly to the larger picture in your life that you, as a writer, are obligated to write about it. Or else you'll spiral into a chasm of regret about your writer choices. These things are known.

Readers just such a day is upon us, so come with me on this journey...

Last year, in what was actually one of my favorite posts I've ever written, I talked about getting a tattoo from the amazing Justine Serebrin at her beautiful Tattoo Spa. Seriously, if you're in LA and looking to get a tattoo you should call this woman up because she is an Artist.

Well this week I went back to see her for a new piece. I wanted to put something on my foot to commemorate the running I've been doing, and the effect it's had on my life. And once again, Justine created something so beautiful that I cannot believe that it's on my body forever now. And once again, it was a wonderful, collaborative experience.

I know what you're thinking, "CT is a cool writer with now several tattoos and she has cool artist friends and she's cool." Just keep thinking that.

As we started the tattoo, Justine offered to use some lidocaine. I hadn't used any anesthetic when I got my other tattoos, so I declined. Even though my other tattoos were on my arm and my back, and this one was on my foot (which is a ton more sensitive). But I told Justine that I kind of wanted to feel it. We talked a lot about the fact that things that cause permanent change generally cause pain. That kind of pain is good, it's representative of the fact that things are different now, that they can't just change back.

Right now, both Cait's and my lives are going through huge periods of change. It feels more and more each day like we're on the verge of our lives changing in a big way. I don't always do well with change. Okay so that's not so true. I really, really, really don't do well with change. I like structure. I like lines and schedules and change tends to disrupt those. Do you see, readers, how perfect this metaphor is? The pain of a tattoo changing your body permanently and the change of your life becoming something radically different than what it is now? I couldn't help it, readers, this is perfect.

Okay so here's where the thinking that I'm still cool needs to kick up a notch because it's possible that this part of the story makes me look less cool. The tattoo hurt a good deal more than I was really prepared for. It turns out that your foot really is a sensitive place and I made it through the linework just fine, but two strokes into the shading I said (totally calmly, I'm sure, although I can't be completely sure because I think I blacked out a little), "Oh, I lied. I'd like the lidocaine please, yes, please, the lidocaine."

Justine, in the kindness of her heart, did not laugh at me. She just gave me the lidocaine, and let me take a five minute break while it kicked in. And then we finished the tattoo, which was way better because of the lidocaine but didn't say, feel like cuddling with Ron Weasley.
Pictured: More fun that getting your foot tattoed.

So in a way that even makes the metaphor even more perfect. Change is painful, and it's okay to feel that pain. But it's also okay to let your friends help you mitigate that pain. Especially when they're helping you make your body more art-y.

Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts