Little C: Positive Songs for Negative People

Huzzah readers! As those of you who were within shouting distance of me last week probably know, last friday marked the release of Frank Turner's latest album, Positive Songs for Negative People (Hereafter known as PS4NP because I'm too lazy to type that out more than once). I am whole heartedly on the Frank Turner bandwagon, and actively recruiting for his fanbase. My whole household will be attending his next concert in LA this October, and anyone who has ridden in my car in the last six months has been exposed to at least a little bit of Frank's back catalogue. You're welcome, everyone. You're welcome.

So today I thought I'd take this opportunity to give a review for PS4NP, in hopes that everyone who reads this will go out and buy it and help support this guy. Strap in, y'all.


As the title of the album suggests, PS4NP is a study in balance and dichotomy. Both of Frank's styles (folk and punk) are well represented but not as combined as they were on Tape Deck Heart. Instead you have the almost delicate opener "The Angel Islington" giving you no preparation for the pounding opening chords of "Get Better". The juxtaposition is startling but ultimately effective as it continues through the rest of the album. Despite the rapid changes from one emotion to another, I never had trouble getting into the feeling of each song which is a tribute to Frank's skill as a songwriter and performer. 

There are a few tracks that stand out for me although I can feel myself falling in love with the whole album as time goes on. "Get Better" is this perfect gem of pure emotion that feels anthemic and grand. "Mittens" is a song that laments a relationship that never really developed but still manages to have me bopping my head along. "Silent Key" in the back half of the album is haunting and beautiful. Then there's the closer...


In a call back to his earlier album Sleep is for the Week, PS4NP ends with a live track. The song, titled Song for Josh, is about a friend of his that committed suicide. It's raw, it's hard to listen to, and it's incredibly well written. The line "At half past nine I'll remember: you were better than your end" has me in goosebumps every. single. time. It's a powerful way to end the album, and also ties well into the feel of Frank's live sets. 

I cannot recommend this album enough. Five days into our relationship (and yes, my relationships with my CDs are the best ones I have some days) I'm already feeling the power of these songs and I can tell that's only going to get stronger. So go get yourself a copy, or check the album out on streaming. I can pretty much promise you a rant about the concert in late October...

Happy Listening,
Little C


Comments

Popular Posts