CT: Horror Junkie

Well, readers, we've made it to October, and the inevitable run towards Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. Although I was in a store last night that had Christmas ornaments out, so I guess we're skipping all those holidays in between. So sorry, Thanksgiving. Middle child syndrome, am I right? 

At any rate, as we approach Halloween every year, I get all in the mood for some horror movies. Well, not just movies. Horror books, ghost stories I find on the Internet, creepy urban legends. I drink it all up. I want the lights out and the tv up loud and to jump every time the killer is OBVIOUSLY right behind the girl. I'm not even particularly creepy, although I've always been a sucker for a good ghost story. Or any sort of unsolvable mystery sort of deal. 

But here's the ugly secret. I am a total weenie about horror. Not that I don't like it. I love it. And I hate it. But also I love it. I know, I'm a confusing sort. 

What it comes down to is that at the end of the day, for all my tough talk about "the bloodier the better" and all that, I just get SO SCARED you guys. So scared. I dragged my friends to Paranormal Activity 3, and they laughed until the cried because I hid behind my freaking hands the whole time. And then I had nightmares about that stupid movie for WEEKS. 

So I get stuck in this horrible cycle every year. I love me some horror, and I go it of my way to find it. And then it hurts me. Every time. Even movies I don't think are scary in the moment, they come back to bite me. 

I mocked The Strangers all the way through the movie because, COME ON Liv Tyler, do something, anything to defend yourself. That movie is single handedly responsible for our older sister Coco's rule about wearing sensible shoes if you're in a sketchy situation. Because if that girl had been in a pair of Chucks she probably would have survived. Truth. 

Aaaanyway, I mocked and mocked and then went home and laid in bed until 3am, to terrified to shut my eyes. This, friends, is the problem. 

So now I just plan every year on spending the month of October in a state of fear induced sleep deprivation. There isn't a chance that I'm going to miss out on a good scary story, but there's even less of a chance I'm going to be able to sleep tonight. 

That said, who wants to see Crimson Peak with me and Little C next week??? Guillermo Del Toro for the win! 

Happy watching! 
CT




Comments

Popular Posts