Little C: This is Halloween

I know I'm a day late on the post. It's been, dear readers, what can only be described as an extremely trying week and when I woke from a dead sleep at 3am this morning and said "God Damnit. I forgot my post..." I knew the punishment word was going to be a bitch. CT has assigned me "Effulgent" which means to shine brightly. Let's see if I can work this in organically five different times or if we end up having to force a few situations.

The season is upon us. No. Not that one. Stop skipping every other holiday and jumping straight for the Santa-esque celebrations. Fair warning, readers; it is two months too early to even think about Christmas and those who think it's "funny" to starting humming carols at me will be strangled to death with a string of Christmas lights. Their's will be a sad but effulgent death (Boom. One down). Holidays can stay in their own months, like the founding fathers intended. I mean I assume. Since we've chosen to be pretty selective in how we're remembering those guys anyway, I'm going to go ahead and say that John Adams abhorred the idea of starting to celebrate Christmas before the leaves had a chance to fall. He said it was un-American.

"...and since God put Christmas in December, stop letting it violate other months"-John Adams


I love everything about Halloween. The costumes, the scary films. The tootsie roll induced sugar comas. I know it has little to do with the original fall celebration of the dead, but there's something magical about a season that has us pretending to be other people and jumping at skeletons and witches. For just a few short weeks we stop being completely rational and start thinking "But what if that noise isn't just the wind, it's a crazed family of zombie ferrets that are taking over the town!" It never turns out to be true but the fact that our brains start to leave themselves open to possibilities is it's own sort of magic that doesn't require Harry Potter to work it.

Or Hermione. Let's be honest. She was much more effulgent (Bam. Two)

I'm one of those saps that loves the old Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas. I preferred the dark sensibility of those movies to the more effulgent (three) fantasy of the straight up Disney films. Except Robin Hood. That movie was the best thing Disney ever made. But even then it my favorite part was a heroic character who pretended to be a fortune teller or a blind beggar in order to get what he wanted. Future therapist is gonna have a blast unraveling that particular mental knot. Good luck, future therapist. 

If I could find someone who does both... that would be ideal. 

So it's safe to say I'm planning my costume out carefully, even if the only place I wear it is to the theater. Last year, I went as my boss. Who walked in, saw me and said "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." and did not fire me. Cuz I'm his most effulgent manager (Pitiful, but that's four) and I promised to give him the tie I was wearing at the end of the night. May not be the season to be jolly, but tis the season for small bribes, readers. And that's got it's own slightly less pretty effulgence to it. (Five and yes it was a stretch but I made it)

Happy Haunting!
Little C



Comments

Popular Posts