Movie Crush Monday: CT & Benny and Joon

Well readers, after perusing the truly weird careers of many of the folks in The Three Musketeers (really, Kiefer Sutherland, you did Marmaduke??), I found the one. The movie that made me tilt my head and go, "Aw, I LOVED that one!" 


That's right, folks, this week for Movie Crush Monday we're following Oliver Platt to the classic Benny & Joon. This movie manages to cram so many of my favorite actors into a story that I really loved. 

I'm pretty sure our older sister Coco showed me this movie when I was way too young to see it (older sisters for the win), and just covered my eyes through the one, very tame sex scene. But from the moment that Joon wins Benny in a poker game, I was hooked. Never mind that that scene gave me a total misunderstanding of adult relationships (so sorry to any boys I've tried to win in card games since). Their relationship is so unconventional but still sweet. And regardless of the issues they each face, you know watching the movie that they're looking out for each other. 


The real treat of this movie is the delicate crafting of character that comes out of Johnny Depp and Mary Stuart Masterson's performances. They characters are round, full of quirks and personality. Real personality too, not just the kind that feels convenient to the story. 

This is one of those movies where I always rewatch it thinking that I'm here for the love story, and then I realize that I love the whole world of the film. Thank goodness they never made a sequel to this, but I honestly would have followed these characters for years and years down the road. 

Happy watching!
CT



Comments

Popular Posts