Little C: I'm in Love With Shanty Punk (Skinny Lister Made Me Do It)

Okay readers, we are coming out of a week where not a lot of good things happened. I'd like to thank everyone who reached out with condolences and good thoughts about our Mimi. We're never going to stop missing her, but it's been a really good week of remembering the many amazing things she did which lessens the hurt a small amount.

For months we had planned to go to the Frank Turner show last Thursday because Frank Turner is the shit. When everything went down on Tuesday, we talked it over. I suggested skipping the concert but in a way it felt like we all needed a few hours together watching a great show. I'm glad we went even though I cried like a small child through most of Frank set because being at a punk show felt like being home and I was a little emotional anyway... I'm sure I scared the crap out of the girl next to me in the pit who kept asking "Do you need help?" as I ugly sobbed through Peggy Sang the Blues. I apologize, random punker. I was, as they say, having a day.

Before Frank got on though, we had two killer opening acts. First was this little British hippie called Beans on Toast, who was hysterical. In between shows I was texting Bailey who saw this whole circus when they passed through Boise a few weeks back. She agreed with me about BoT but also cautioned "Hold on to your ass for Skinny Lister. You're not ready" I rolled my eyes and ignored it. Because I never learn. And then I was not prepared for Skinny Lister.


Holy crap guys. This fuckin band. They sound a bit like Flogging Molly except English instead of Irish and somehow more drunk (drunker?)... I loved them immediately. The accordion player (yes you're reading that correctly) was bouncing all over the stage and the guy playing the double bass crowd surfed, all while playing these rowdy folk infused songs with call and response sections. I'm hitting a wall trying to describe the actual music, but the best description was on the shirts they were selling. It's shanty punk. 




Have a little listen to that. It's a weird mix of some very old musical traditions and a very modern punk sensibility. And while great music helps make a great show, I cannot stress enough how much fun these guys were having on stage. Our roommate Lex had abandoned the pit area to sit down because she's turning 90 next week and after the first song Christy and I got texts that said "Did you know this existed? I can't breathe. What? Sbdboocjsnagivgabam0cu..." We were all feeling that. I turned to Christy to see how she was feeling and she said "Do you see his bass?" Once an orchestra nerd, always an orchestra nerd.

We all saw his bass. The singer just saw it as a jungle gym

It's been nearly a week since the show and my addiction has not lessened. The two CD's I got at the show have not left my car stereo. I've worked my way through 90% of their youtube channel. In a week where we all needed escapism in a very real way, it's been hugely helpful to have found a new band like this that I can put on and have three minutes where I can smile a little bit. And you can't help but smile with these guys, because if they're putting this much effort into having a good time, the least you can do is join them. 

Support good music, and good musicians when they leap into the crowd

Happy listening,
Little C


Comments

Popular Posts