CT: We'll Save Ourselves

Well readers, it's awfully late in the day for my post to be going up, but Little C and I were at the movies, celebrating our older sister's birthday. We saw Suffragette, and so yes, of course I was crying before anyone had even really done or said anything. And then I ugly-cried through the entire movie. I'm so glad that I carefully applied eyeliner before I left the house.

I really can't stress enough to you how much you all need to see this movie. It's the story of the women in England who fought desperately to get women the right to vote. Suffragette doesn't shy away from the way those women were beaten, imprisoned, tortured. The most powerful part of the movie, for me, was that the suffragettes kept saying that they were fighting for the women that would come after them, for the generations of girls who would have the kind of freedoms that had been denied to women for generations.

For women like me and Little C. They went through hell so that we could have a voice.

So on the drive home tonight, when I finally stopped sobbing like a tiny human, I realized that the other thing that the women in Suffragette kept saying was that they were going to have to save themselves. They couldn't count on the men in their lives to solve the problem for them.

It made me realize how many of my favorite movies lately have said the same thing. Mad Max: Fury Road had Imperator Furiosa saving both herself and the wives.

Ava (whether you think she counts as a hero or not) had to rely on her own smarts to survive the Turing Test in Ex Machina.

And most recently Edith, the heroine of Crimson Peak, literally tells one of the male leads to hide while she fights the final battle to rescue them both.

It's a powerful message, and one that I am happy to see in movie after movie. It's a change in the narrative from telling women that they have to wait to be saved, to telling them that they can save themselves. I personally can't wait to add to that narrative someday.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts