CT: Zero Percent

So by now you know that as people and as writers, science fiction has a special place in Little C's and my hearts. We like watching it, we like reading it, we like writing it. But I think my favorite thing ever is that science fact is almost as wonderful and weird and fantastic as any science fiction I've ever read.

That's right, I said it. I inherited my dad's love for all things History Channel, Science Channel, Discovery, etc. When I'm home I spend a ridiculous amount of time sitting up late with him watching Nova. You see, I've always believed that there's some sort of mystery and magic in the natural world. When I was little, I hated science because I thought that science was just trying to explain away all that magic, but it turns out I was wrong in the best possible way.

The thing about science is that it's always changing. We have this huge, insane world that we live in and it feels like we know zero percent about any of it for sure. Even the things we know for sure feel like they're always changing as we learn more and more about the way our universe works. And while that feels discouraging on the surface, it seems like our lack of knowledge actually excites scientists because it means that there's always so much more to discover.

Just in case I lost you up there, and you don't think there's any exciting science going on in the world today, let me tell you that the Japanese telescope in Hawaii literally just found a new planet. Teeny tiny V774104 is a dwarf planet hanging out at the edge of our solar system. It's 100 times further from the sun that we are, and it's stretching our understanding of how big our solar system is. And how many other little planets are in here with us, that we just haven't had the technology to see yet??

It's not just at the solar system level. Here on Earth we have experiments like the Large Hadron Collider completely changing the way we understand physics. Plus, this is your friendly reminder that despite the fact that oceans cover around 71% of the world, we've only actually explored about 5% of it. Who knows what kinds of species are hiding down there, and what they can tell us about our planet?

Okay, okay, that's the end of my science rant for the day. It's just that every time I sit down to watch the new episode of Nova, or even just look at the science news on Google, I'm a little more excited about the things we're discovering. They make the line between science fiction and science fact blur a little more, which I could not love more. Especially in times when life can be a little tough, it's so encouraging to remember all the fascinating things we're learning about the world.

Happy exploring!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts