Little C: What a Week

Okay guys, this post is going to be in two parts because I only have a couple things I want to talk about with you guys. First up we have to talk about Houston. The city just got its ass kicked by Harvey and like everyone we have been watching the story and worrying about the city and the people and wanting desperately to help. There have been multiple confirmed reports that they need blood for the hospitals so if you can, try and find a local Red Cross blood drive. If you can't, I want to note that I've seen so many people saying DO NOT JUST SEND FOOD/CLOTHING DONATIONS. They do not have any system in place right now to go through stuff and it takes time and effort away from people who could be helping in other ways.



If you are looking for charities that will actively benefit Houston and the people affected by this terrible storm, may I suggest you check out The Bastrop County Long Term Recovery Team who are using case managers to identified people with long term needs in the area who are uninsured/under-insured.

My favorite charity organization, Random Acts, is also facilitating a fundraiser through a brewery in Austin that helps the BCLTRT as well as a few other really good causes in that part of Texas. The link is HERE if you want to give. I've worked with Random Acts a few different times and I just love them. They are a team of weirdos, but weirdos with great attitudes and a history of doing a lot of good in this messed up world.

In slightly less depressing news, it was announced last week that Hollywood once again cast a white person as a canonically Asian character, this time in the new Hellboy movie. I sighed a deep, world weary sigh and resigned myself to adding it to the list of films I won't see. And then... from an unexpected place... something magical happened... that made me abuse ellipses...

Actor Ed Skrein Is Leaving the Hellboy Reboot Amid Accusations of Whitewashing
A straight white guy did a good thing! There's a lesson in this act that I'm almost sure the entertainment industry won't learn right away but Huzzah! In the just pre-apocalypse that we all live in where the KKK is swarming the streets and Neo-Nazis are running parts of our government, I am amazed and heartened and rewatching Deadpool for the 80th time to celebrate this lovely human. May he be the only stupid white guy face I am forced to gaze upon in comic book movies for years to come.

Hope y'all are having a good week, and consider sending Texas some cash along with your thoughts and prayers. We love you, Texas. Stay safe.

Little C

Comments

Popular Posts