Movie Crush Monday: CT & Now And Then

I think there are movies that hit you at just the right time. They're the right story, about the right kind of character, at the right time in your life to stay with you forever. To be honest, I think there are more of that kind of movie from my pre-teen/early adolescent years than from any other part of my life to date. Part of that is because that's about the time that I was falling in love with movies and writing, but I think that also adolescence is a huge time in anyone's life, so the things you fall in love with then (music, movies, books, etc.) are likely to stay with you.

Image from IMDb

Now And Then is one of those movies for me. It's a stretch, because his role is technically uncredited, but I'm following Brendan Fraser here from The Mummy just so that I can talk about what this movie meant to me. And it still does.

It's no secret around these parts that we love stories about female friendship, and I credit a lot of that to this movie. One of my unending frustrations is that the vast majorities of the great movies about childhood friendships center around boys. The Sandlot. Stand By Me. The Goonies. Kings Of Summer. It. There's a token girl sometimes, or maybe even two, but the story is a story about boy friendships. That doesn't make these movies bad. The movies I listed there are some of my absolute, die hard favorites.

Image from IMDb

Now And Then is a totally different movie because it's that same vibe, that same nostalgic childhood adventure, but focused all on a group of girls and the women they become. It follows four friends in the summer of 1970 when they're all 12, and then who they grow up to be in 1991. The summer of their childhoods is one of those that becomes definitive for each of them in different ways. They all grow up a bit in that summer. They all see a little of who they'll eventually be and why.

I think everyone had a summer like that. A shining summer. I had one for sure, and my memories of those few weeks are ridiculously clear, even after all this time. Those memories have that golden tinge to them that you see in all those movies about childhood. When I was younger, I loved Now And Then because I saw myself in the adventures these girls were having. The way they spoke to each other, the way they want to be grown up and the ways they want to still be little.

Image from IMDb

Now that I'm older, I love this movie even more because it reminds me of my own shining summer. The friends that I had (and have stayed close to the same way they do in the movie), the crazy things we did, they ways that we were becoming slowly our adult selves. And seeing that in a movie about girls instead of boys is just a little bit more magical.

Happy watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts