Movie Crush Monday: Little C and The Mummy

Readers, welcome back to our regularly scheduled Movie Crush posts. Yes they could have started again last Monday, but it was a holiday and as such I got a little lazy and took a nap instead. So to pick up from where we left off app the way back in July, I want to follow Rachel Weisz to a movie that really shaped who I am as an adult. I'm talking about the best of the modern monster movies, The Mummy

Image from IMDb
I watched this movie at a very impressionable young age and I gotta be honest, we own the box set of these films because even though the third one dragged a bit this may be my favorite trilogy. The story is a fun adventure where the protagonists are Brendan Fraser in the role he was born to play and Rachel Weisz as A MONSTER FIGHTING LIBRARIAN!!!! It's all my nerdy impulses carefully distilled into the character of Evey Hammond. Add in that she the reincarnation of an Egyptian Princess and she has some mad sword fighting skills and you have essentially every character I used to pretend to be as a child. If she was somehow also an X-men and was partners with Dana Scully it would be complete. 

Image from IMDb
Sorry, got off topic there. The movie has so many other things that we love. The bad guy's henchman is a delightful little weasel. The script is full of snark and great one liners. Oded Fehr is a straight up dream boat and I am still a little heartbroken that he doesn't constantly sport those face tattoos, cuz yummm.
Image from IMDb
The sequel is just as much fun and adds in the baby O'Connell who has all of both parents worst impulses and his uncles knack for talking his way into trouble. They are not serious or thinky movies, but as much as I want to say they are good to put on as background noise that never works. I get sucked in to the action every time and the main task I was hoping to accomplish sits sad and half done for 90 minutes. 

Image from IMDb
Our deep and abiding love for these movies is strong enough that the reboots got a hard pass from both of us before they even released a trailer. So no thank you, Tom Cruise. Your personal fights against the undead are rated 0/10 for lack of O'Connells. 

Happy Watching, 
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts