CT: Middle Of Nowhere

GUY, this is a big week for me. Not only are Little C and I off to an East Coast adventure tomorrow, but in a few short hours I will be at the Hanson 25th Anniversary show here in LA!
Source
Cue the screaming fangirl madness
For a long time I thought of Hanson as a guilty pleasure. I gave up on all of that a few years ago. Not just about Hanson, but the concept of guilty pleasures altogether. It's exhausting, ya know? Who has the time or energy to pretend to only like the things other people like, or to pretend you like things as a joke. Life is simpler if you just like what you like, and for me it's early silent cinema, grammar, Vin Diesel movies, and Hanson. Lots of other things, too, of course. But I like those things an awful lot.

Many, many moons ago our older sister Coco spent a summer at a performing arts camp and came back with a dance routine to a little ditty called "Madeline". I was immediately obsessed. I went to the store and bought Middle Of Nowhere with my own allowance money and promptly drove my entire family crazy listening to it non-stop. Every song spoke to my little 10 year old heart. I had a Hanson themed birthday cake more than once, I was a card carrying Fan Club member. It never bothered me that they had long hair and sounded more than a little girly. I did not care. I loved them from the depths of my heart. 


What's more, it's never gone away. Their sound has changed over the years. They've leaned into their southern roots and are way more blues rock than the pop of their first couple albums. And yes, they all grew up and cut their hair. But their lyrics are as interesting and their melodies as catchy as they've always been.

So a few months ago when one of my friends here asked if I wanted to go to their LA show, I couldn't say yes fast enough. And then I immediately died of being ancient enough that they're on a 25th anniversary tour that I'm attending. But I recovered at the idea of seeing them live again, which I haven't since college. So in not very many hours from this very minute I will be in the Mayan Theater screaming my head off like my 12 year old self did at my first Hanson concert many many many years ago.

Happy listening,
One Very Happy CT

Comments

Popular Posts