Little C: You Little Devil

Readers, the TV season is in full swing again and it's time I own up to something. One of the few shows I watch every single week without fail... is Lucifer. I'm not ashamed to admit it, mostly in just surprised. To say I was reluctant to watch the pilot is an understatement. But somehow this weird semi-procedural supernatural drama has become one of the few shows I refuse to fall behind on.

source IMDB

I have to admit that when Lucifer was announced I went full Nerd Snob. I love the comic book character that it's based on and when the tag line involved "teams up with the LAPD to solve crimes" I may have dramatically flung myself on a chair and bemoaned our cultures ability to have nice things. I'm protective of any and all Gaiman intellectual property and I will NOT apologize for that. And then Tom Ellis was cast and while I enjoyed him in Merlin, he was distinctly not blonde the way the comic version was and... And I wanted to walk away before a single episode aired.

source IMDB

But I watched the pilot with my roommate Lex anyway. And it was delightful. So much so that this year I have fallen behind in all the dramas I'm watching except Lucifer. The show walks a very fine line. A show with such heavy religious undertones could so easy be either played super seriously (see the tragically uninteresting Damien) or for straight laughs (like our new comedy love The Good Place) but the balance of the two is hard to find. To combat this, the show launches into weird and hard hitting murder cases that explore the characters morality while maintaining a vary self aware tone that keeps the world from ever getting too heavy.

source IMDB

It helps that the cast are so talented. Tom Ellis and D. B. Woodside especially manage to keep humor and charm in every scene. Lauren German who plays Detective Decker keeps the show grounded without feeling like her character is boring or a killjoy. So many actors go over the top when they play a demon but Lesley-Ann Brandt makes Mazikeen (who was the best part of the comics) complex and a little vulnerable. A huge shoutout to Scarlett Estevez also, because child actors so often annoy the crap out of me but Trixie is freaking adorable. Everyone feels like they're having so much fun making this show and you can see it in the on screen chemistry they all share.

source IMDB

Lucifer plays on Fox on Monday nights or it's available the next day on Hulu. 

Happy Watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts