Movie Crush Monday: CT & Love Actually

We're nearing ever closer to the holidays, readers, and by that I mean it was sorta-cold (like 70 instead of 105) in LA last week, and now my brain is 1000% in Christmas mode. I don't care one single bit that we haven't even seen Halloween yet. On with the holidays, I say! Which brings me to our Movie Crush this week, following the incomparable Colin Firth!

Source
Love Actually is one of the (many, many) movies that I watch every single year, and also one of the ones that makes me cry every time. Yes, it's a bit saccharine, and yes, a lot of it is blatant emotional manipulation but I could not possibly care less. It's hopeful and sweet and sad and manages to follow an astounding number of character while making you care about every single one of them.

Source
My favorite of the intertwining storylines is Liam Neeson playing a widower trying to connect with his young stepson. The premise of the film is about the ways that we interact with one another and how love exists all around us, and to me this is one of the most profound places that story lives. Neeson's character is working through his own grief and emotion while he's still learning how to be a parent. And for him to help his stepson through his own first crush is a really beautiful way to see their relationship grow. Both Neeson and Thomas Brodie-Sangster, who gives a great performance for such a young actor, are charming and sweet and heartbreaking.

Source
The film is full of incredible performances. Emma Thompson gives me chills in that scene with the Joni Mitchell CD no matter how many times I see it, and watching her play across from Alan Rickman is such a treat. From Laura Linney to Hugh Grant to Andrew Lincoln to Chiwetel Ejiofor- it's a who's who of great actors (British or otherwise). It's the kind of ensemble cast where there are so many characters but somehow each storyline feels fleshed out.

I know it's early yet, but is it ever really too early to think about those Holiday movie nights? Not in my house it isn't. Now excuse me while I go make some sugar cookies.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts