Movie Crush Monday: CT & Spirited Away

Why hello friends!

I know, I know, it seems like we just saw each other. But that's only because yesterday was my post. And now today's my post again! It's a wacky world (of blog-timing... that Cait and I made up... anywhoo...)

Today's Movie Crush Monday is one of my all-time favorites, Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

I first saw this film when I was in college, in my Women In Film class. It's funny, because when I saw it on the syllabus I thought it sounded like a drag. And then it blew my little mind. And THEN, once I started to do a little reading into the film, I realized that Hayao Miyazaki had also made one of my favorite childhood films, My Neighbor Totoro.

If you've never seen a Miyazaki film, it's a really unique treat. His stories don't follow the traditional structure of most movies we see here in the States, where there's a definite three-act structure and conflicts get set up and followed through predictably. Don't get me wrong, there's a structure to his films, and really clear conflict. It's just not always the way you expect to see it.

Spirited Away follows a little girl named Chihiro, who is forced to navigate a world filled with witches and gods after her parents are turned into pigs. She's put to work at a bathhouse while she tries to figure out how to save her parents. Along the way, she befriends an incredible selection of characters, including a boy who can turn into a dragon and the iconic No Face.

Like with any Studio Ghibli film, part of the joy of Spirited Away is the art. The imagery throughout the film is stunning, and fleshes out the world that Miyazaki's created. Between the gorgeous backgrounds and the intricacies of the character design you can practically feel the textures of the world.


Chihiro is a perfect character to travel the world with. She's not perfect- she's often stubborn or reckless- but she's brave and determined to find a way to save her family. She treats the characters she meets with kindness no matter whether they're a river spirit or a tiny sootball. She's actually the exact kind of female hero that Caitlin and I want to feature in all of our work.

So if you're looking for a fantastic visual treat, and a fun journey to take, check out Spirited Away. And then, when you're done drooling over it, check out any of Miyazaki's other work. The man is truly a genius storyteller.

Much Peace,
CT

Comments

Popular Posts