CT: In Every Generation...

So this week marks the 20th anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Which is simultaneously a huge moment for us and something that makes me feel absolutely ancient. Seriously. I genuinely had a moment when I thought it was a typo, and it was just the 10th anniversary. But alas. We do get old, don't we?
Source

There's a lot to be said about Buffy. It was revolutionary for female characters in genre TV. Buffy was a total badass without ever giving up her femininity. She loved pink and worried about the cute guys she dated and talked about fashion with her friends. She didn't have to stop being a girl to be the slayer. Her girliness actually made her cooler.

But all of that has been memorialized a million times over. The icon of Buffy Summers has its well-deserved place in history.
Source

So instead of gushing over it again, I'd like to talk about the part of Buffy The Vampire Slayer that meant the world to me as a young CT. Buffy made the nerds the heroes.

Buffy group wasn't the pretty, popular cheerleaders. It wasn't the cool, tough outsiders. It was nerds. Willow and Xander and Giles were more like me than they were like Buffy, but it didn't matter. Their smarts and loyalty and creativity were the key to Buffy's success. They were awkward, and nerdy, and not good at the social parts of high school (again, like a young CT), but those aspects made them the perfect team for Buffy.
Source

I can't tell you how much that meant to me as a teen. To see someone like me up on TV, part of the Scooby Gang, taking down demons and ghosts and Big Bads- it was validating. I identified with Willow and Xander, and that meant that I got to see a part of myself as a hero. And for that, Buffy and Joss will always have a special place in my heart.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts